By Martha Jacob – Ripley Bee
During the April 20 Ripley Union Lewis Huntington School District Board of Education meeting, it was announced by Kristi Scott that the winner of the Aberdeen Class of 1950 Scholarship was RULH senior Kristen Abbott.
“Ms. Scott used to write grant application for our school district,” Superintendent Dr. Linda Naylor said, “She has also worked with several community organizations on scholarships for kids. This year’s recipient will receive $2,000 a year for four years, for a total of $8,000. We were all very proud of Kristen Abbott.”
Superintendent Dr. Naylor’s report and recommendations included:
• Approved a trip by Marine Jr. ROTC to Quantico, VA, June 8-12 where students will participate in activities on the base, as well as travel to Washington D.C. for some tours and special marine events. The JROTC will pay for the trip
• Approved a trip by the RULH High School Spanish Club to San Juan, Puerto Rico in June of 2017. The trip will be paid for by fundraising activities and participants
• Approved the list of 87 potential graduates for 2016
•Approved the nonrenewal of all supplemental contracts issues to non-teaching employees for the 2015-16 school years.
• Approved administrative contracts with Bill Frazier, transportation supervisor for 2 years, Chris Smith, middle school principal for 2 years, Pam Sebastian, special education supervisor for 1 year and Dick Zurbuch, facilities and maintenance supervisor for 5 years
• Unpaid leave was approved for Theda Stidham
• Supplemental contracts were approved for Heather Butler, Jr. High boys and girls cross country coach, Jerry Kelley, high school boys and girls cross country coach, Marty Adams as high school boys varsity basketball coach, Rex Woodward, high school boys Jr. varsity basketball coach, Jamey Ellis, high school boys freshman coach, Chris Coleman as high school girls varsity basketball coach, Bradley Cannon as high school girls jr. varsity basketball coach, Marty Adams as high school girls soccer coach, Michael Scanlan as high school golf coach, Kim Myers as high school Jr. varsity cheerleading advisor, Martie Bradford, 8th grade cheerleading advisor, Latessa Ellis, 7th grade cheerleading advisor and Tommy Germann, 8th grade boys basketball coach.
• Several policies were approved for adoption by the board.
Dr. Naylor also commented that she had made several phone calls in regards to seating for the lecture hall at the high school and reported that she had a scheduled meeting with yet another vendor for estimates for new seating.